Sunday, April 8, 2012

Dianthus.. . . .my little pretteeeeeeee

Dianthus, or pinks, are one of my favorite flowers. Like marigolds, they are a simple, old-fashioned flower. They offer great mixed colors and flower sizes, are very easy to grow, come back every year, and bloom profusely.

The name Dianthus is from the Greek words dios (“god”) and anthos (“flower”). The species are mostly perennial herbs, a few are annual or biennial, and some are low subshrubs with woody basal stems.

The colour pink may be named after the flower. While these plants are usually marked as annuals at garden centers in our area, they truly are perennials here. I buy a few more every year, and have them all over my yard, here and there in flower beds, along the edge of my driveway and patio, in containers, and hanging over rock wall beds. The foliage is soft and grasslike and the plants form neat mounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kirk-Shabazz Family

My bestestsseh honeypie

My bestestsseh honeypie

King of Pop

Teaser- Trailer for Tiana Disney Princess


Guess who's growin up !

Guess who's growin up !
Anayah-marie 11 months old (Aug-09)