Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Always Drawn to my Family History

Always drawn to my past........ My Grandmother Martha Belle Smith Sipuel (Caver) Born 01-09-1888, died 03-17-1971. She was 83 years of age....my mother Helen Marie Huggins also will be 83 years old on this coming 07-25-2009!!! I think I want a hat and sequins like Big Mamas'!!!!


I enjoyed reading the autobiography of Roscoe Dunjee - Champion of Civil Rights. Oft referred to as an aging warrior! Love this picture of Lois and Big Mama in January 1948, Dunjee talked to Fisher often during the legal battle. His advice was always just one word, "Patience, Girlie, patience." I've seen his picture... the first of a black man to hand int he official State Portrait Gallery of the Historical Society Bldg.


Fisher remembered that day as a cold day in washington: ...There I was, a preacher's daughter from little Chickasha, Oklahoma, climbing the steps of the U.S. Supreme Court building. My eyes caught the words, "EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER THE LAW". Amos Hall, Thurgood Marshall, and I entered the building ahead of schedule... Finally we came to the Court's chamber. The awsome sight seemed a fitting end of a journey two years in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kirk-Shabazz Family

My bestestsseh honeypie

My bestestsseh honeypie

King of Pop

Teaser- Trailer for Tiana Disney Princess


Guess who's growin up !

Guess who's growin up !
Anayah-marie 11 months old (Aug-09)